1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

When to move quail chicks

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Danny C., May 23, 2018.

1. Danny C.

Danny C. Songster

Jan 10, 2018
    I’ve got one week old bobwhite chicks (pictured) in house brooder box. I’m able to maintain heat very well this way. With more incubators and due in 9-10 days, when can I move them to garage grow out pen (pictured) knowing that can get up to 100+ degrees daytime and down to 80 degrees nighttime? While working during the day, door will be down of course. Also air circulation, is that an issue?
    First hatching anything and sure appreciate all the support, comments, advise received on this forum. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. lomine

lomine Crowing

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    You do want to make sure your coop has good ventilation. I can't see the sides but the front looks totally solid. I would add some air holes along the top to let air vent out.

I don't know about bobwhites but coturnix are usually fully feathered and ready to go out around four weeks for me. Just start weaning them off the heat before you want them outside. Once their brooder heat is around the same as the garage you are good to go.

Danny C. likes this.
  3. Danny C.

Danny C. Songster

Jan 10, 2018
    Sides are solid, so probably should put a little ventilation there. The top has wire as well so plenty up top for air to vent out.
    Thanks for reply

Attached Files:

4. lomine

lomine Crowing

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Yeah I would put some holes in there. They can be as simple as drilling some holes right under the roof line. If you make they bigger you can cover just cover with wire to keep things out. It's always better to have too much ventilation versus not enough.

I'd be interested to see what the inside look like. Any reason you made it so tall?

5. Danny C.

Danny C. Songster

Jan 10, 2018
    Come to think of it, didn’t think through the height other than I am 6’5” myself and wanted head room when walked up to it.
    Made as a grow out pen to hold chicks before I sell them. Felt they wouldn’t be flying up and hurt themselves since flight feathers come I think later. I’ll drill some holes today for extra ventilation.
    Appreciate the insight.

6. Danny C.

Danny C. Songster

Jan 10, 2018
    Forgot also to ask.
    8-9 days old and these 20 bobwhite chicks appear to eat eat eat no matter how often I feed them? As much as they can eat since they are growing or just once in am and pm? Don’t mind as long as not doing damage to their health.

7. wildone

wildone Songster

Jan 23, 2018
    don't worry about them eating a lot. mine have practically eaten me out of house and home. i put my cots outside at 11 days old, and the highs are curently in the 70's and the lows are in the 60's. well they are thriving, so what can you say?

Danny C. likes this.
  8. lomine

lomine Crowing

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I’ve always offered food 24/7 and just refill the feeder as needed. You don’t have to worry about them overeating.

Danny C. likes this.
  9. Danny C.

Danny C. Songster

Jan 10, 2018
    Thanks, so I should be good because they are boogady boogady boogady any time I get close to box.

10. Mamacast

Mamacast In the Brooder

Apr 10, 2018
    Breckenridge CO
    Beautiful job on the hutch btw

Danny C. likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: