when to move teenager chickens to adult pen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenlisa, Aug 6, 2008.

1. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    I've got a juvenile pen full of chicks- from about 6 weeks old up to more than 3 months old. The oldest ones are so much bigger than the younger ones, but still smaller than my adult birds. What's the best thing to do? The 2 pens share a common wall, so they do see each other daily through the chicken wire and lattice fencing I've got up for some shade... I've got about 10 or so who could move first, but don't want them to be hurt by the adults. Also, they are still eating grow and finish crumbles...my adults are eating layer pellets... what to do? No one is hurting each other where they are other than walking on them while eating, or being bullies in general because they are so much bigger. I've got Silkies,Showgirls, and Silver Phoenix who are as old as the big 'uns but smaller in size. What would you all do? When should I move anyone to the adult pen? At 17 weeks old or so or before? or when I've got more to move than are in the adult pen now, so they are out numbered by the new ones...
    sorry for all the questions.
    Lisa

2. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    anyone? I know its a lot of questions, but can anyone please advise me? Thanks
    Lisa [​IMG]

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    As long as there isn't a problem with fighting, leave them in the teenager side. They shouldn't have the extra calcium in the layer yet-not until they are laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by