When to move the chicks to screened porch?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LadwoodFarm, Jun 2, 2011.

1. LadwoodFarm

LadwoodFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Hi, I'm new to the forum. Hoping someone can help me decide when to move the chicks from a box in the basement to a bigger box on our screened porch. They are almost able to flutter out of the box downstairs (chicken wire cover prevents that), and the new box outside is deeper, and had chicken wire over the top too. The chicks are 3 weeks old now, and days are warm in central NJ (80's)' nights are low 70's and of course we can put the heat lamp with them. What do you guys think, should I put them out there yet as an interim step before the coop?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  2. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

As warm as it is on the east coast, they are old enough to make the move now. Being out in the fresh air will be good for them. They are old enough for some play time in the grass.

3. Fritatta

Fritatta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    Quote:yes! go sit out in the grass and let them wander around you. its bonding time! bring treats, maybe a scrambled egg. They will love you!

just be sure to monitor the temp. the will die very quickly in this heat.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    You'll probably find that you can leave the heat lamp off during the day. I was shutting mine down at 80 degrees at the start of 3 weeks and 75 not long after that. I put my brooder on the covered porch from day 1 -- with a heat lamp, it's perfectly fine for them to be outdoors in much cooler temps than anything you'll see this time of year. And really, you'll only need another week or two with the lamp at night before they're done with supplemental heat altogether.

5. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    You could always put a thermometer in the porch brooder to find out the actual brooder temps day and night before moving them. Even if it gets chilly they'd probably be fine in a big brooder with a lamp on one end for when they need it, as long as it doesn't heat the entire brooder and they can move well away from the heat when they don't want it. 100 degrees for the first week, dropping 5 degrees per each week of age after that is what I've always went by. I'd think the temps of 70 would be a little chilly for 3 week olds, especially if there'll be any breezes on porch. [​IMG]

6. LadwoodFarm

LadwoodFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Thanks, everyone! We moved them to the screened porch 'condo' and they seem very happy, maybe a little chilly at first but the heat lamp has been lowered and that did the trick! As soon as I figure out how to attach pics here, will show you!

7. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Can hardly wait to see their pics! I've been needin' a chick fix in the worst way, lol.

eta: tinypic or photobucket links work great. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  8. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

The rule on BYC is that if there are no pictures, it didn't happen. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by