When to move them out to the coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FRlEDeggs, Jul 16, 2010.

1. FRlEDeggs

FRlEDeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    My babies are more than 6 weeks old (7 this Tuesday) and I was wondering when I can move them out to the coop! Tonight would be great, if they're old enough! [​IMG] I'm here in Southern CA and it doesn't get too cold here at night, I'm guessing not below 60 [​IMG]

2. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    I put them out at 6 weeks. So I think you are fine with putting them out now.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I usually wait until they are 8 wks old, but not this last time. They were only 4 weeks old - but I got a brand new coop with an attached pen, and put the whole thing inside the chicken run. I have other coops, too. Anyway, I put the chicks out in the new coop, and ran an extension cord out to it to power the heat lamp for the cooler night-time hours. Last two nights I haven't needed it, as the temps have not dropped below 60 degrees.

If it were Winter, that would be different - I'd wait the full 8 weeks. But not this time of year!!! Their quality of life is so much better with all the extra room, plus they are surrounded by the other chickens who are getting to know them without being able to harm them in any way.

As long as the night temperature doesn't drop below 60 degrees, I think yours will be just fine outside. Once they're fully feathered, it won't matter anyway. They'll be okay with just about any cooler/cold temp by then!

4. FRlEDeggs

FRlEDeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Yay! Okay, thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by