1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to move them outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrlacewing, Sep 28, 2012.

1. mrlacewing

mrlacewing Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2012
    Hi,
    I've got four month old Buff Orpingtons that are spending much of the day outside in their chicken tractor and I bring them inside to their brooder at night. I haven't found much info on the in between phase of moving them from brooder to coop. They are getting large for their brooder, a clear plastic bin that's about 30x24 inches. It seems that is should be big enough for them to sleep in (?), but I'm wondering if I should move them to a bigger brooder inside or go ahead and put them in their tractor coop. I'm in Georgia, so it is just beginning to get a little cool at night.
    any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Dana

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Does their tractor coop have a housing section that would keep them out of night time drafts? If so, then I'd say they should be feathered out enough to move up to their big chicken quarters, especially at this time of year.
    If they've been on a lamp of any kind at night, I'd take a few days to wean them off of that first though...

3. mrlacewing

mrlacewing Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2012
    Thanks! The coop is an A frame with the nests and roost in the top part, so they would be closed in. They have been under a light at night so that makes sense that they would need to be weaned off.
    Today I cleaned the top nesting part really well since I bought it used so I feel better about letting them up there. During that time I let them roam around my yard. They kept close and even followed me around some. I had no idea chickens were so social!
    thanks again,
    Dana

4. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    I agree with the above posts!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by