when to move to duck house

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sayyadina, May 24, 2010.

1. sayyadina

sayyadina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I was wondering when I can move my ducklings & goslings out of their brooder in the house and to their duck house. They all hatched on May 3, so they're 3 weeks old, right? Its in the 60s-70s during the day, but night time temperatures are 40s-50s.

Would it be ok to use wood pellet bedding in the duck house?

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I've moved mine at out at 3 weeks, but I'm using an oil filled heater in the duck house. I've keeping it there at 65 degrees at night.
    Katharina

3. loopy12

loopy12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Mine are 5 weeks old and on there third night out in the "nursery chicken run" tonight (they will move in with the other ducks when they are fully feathered). Its in the mid 60s here at night at the moment. I only have 3. If you have more they will ok with lower temps as they huddle if they are a little chilly. I would say anytime after 4 weeks as long as you keep an eye on the weather forecast so you could bring them in if it turned really cold...

4. sayyadina

sayyadina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Thanks.

I moved them out to their new house this afternoon, and so far they seem happy. I have 16 ducklings & 2 goslings, all 3.5 weeks old now. Hopefully they'll be okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by