When to offer food and water?

Cordell

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 9, 2009
Fort Worth, Texas
When do you offer food and water to a new duckling? My husband says he read to wait 12 hours. I thinking it's probably OK to wait 12 hours due to the yoke. But can you go ahead and offer under supervision when they are dry and up and about in the brooder?
Thanks so much!

You can wait...but I just dip their beaks into water once they are in the brooder and then offer food like 20 minutes later.

Well, my original comment would be off base, but I would want to offer them lukewarm water pretty soon. Storey's guide tells of rearing many ducklings, and not offering them water until they are two days old, if I read that correctly. Based on that, 12 hours doesn't sound like a problem. Perhaps, rearing so many at once, they cannot be properly supervised to avoid drowning.

I hope we can hear more from experienced duck people, who might explain why wait with the water.
hu.gif

Last edited:
I have ducklings that have eaten or had a drink within a few hours of hatching. I always have food and water with vitaimns added for them as soon as they are taken form the incubator, so that once they are strong enough to go walking around they can help themselves as soon as they want it. If i have not sen them drinking within 12 hours of hatching I will show them the food and water- and after that- there is no stopping them. They become little eating and pooping machines.

I don't think it is necessarily recommended to wait, it is just that they *can* wait for a couple days (which allows for shipping). It is not a case where you *have* to wait. Once they have been put in the brooder, we offer food and water and ours have always done well with that. I wouldn't want to keep them at brooding temps. without water any longer than necessary.

When I hatched out ducks, I offered them food/water from the time I put them into the brooder.(Like a lot of people, dipped their beaks in the water.)

Back
Top Bottom