When to order my chickies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by farmgirl02, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Hi, everyone!
    My grandpa is ordering his chicks this week! When should I order mine? I thought this might be a little early, as it is freezing outside. When are you ordering yours? I need an exact date. This might be my first year of having chicks.

2. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    I personally prefer to get mine between March 15 and April 31. I live in MI and winter/cold temps seem to stick for quite a while here. I hope you enjoy your new chicks.

Another thought is that you could order yours with you grandpa and then just pay him back. That way, you would possibly save on shipping and maybe even the price of the chicks (depending on if you plan getting the same breed or not).

I hope this helps!

1 person likes this.
  3. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    March - April. One year I got chicks in late August and they didn't start to lay until winter. If You get them in the spring then you will have a good supply of eggs by winter.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Aren't when to order and when they'll ship two different things?
    Can't you order whenever then choose when they'll ship?

I've never ordered chicks, but some folks I know are ordering now for shipment in May....some breeds are already 'out of stock'.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  5. Jess172

Jess172 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2014
    Kentucky
    I would order as soon as possible. You can go ahead and order them and choose when you want them shipped. For example last week I placed an order and they will ship them the week of march 24. Also if you are ordering more than one type of chicken you need to try and have them ship all the same day to save on shipping. I've had to have two ship days because they were already selling out of certain breeds. Also,I live in Kentucky, and with our crazy weather I wouldn't have chicks delivered any earlier than the end of march. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by