when to peek at broody hens hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mrbunker, Jun 4, 2008.

1. mrbunker

mrbunker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2008
    Southwest WA
    so, first time broody henner. she was sitting on 9 guinea eggs that started to hatch monday the 2nd. she will not let us near her or the nest (which is in a tub with 4 inch sides). at least one chick died and is outside the nest. i would like to move her and the chicks out of the tub so the chicks can move more freely without concern for them falling out of the nest and not being able to get back in. she choose the nest not me!!! next time i would definitely move broody prior to hatch but i was scared she would abandon the eggs.

any advice will be appreciated!!! thanks!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Have you seen any other babies? I wouldn't move her until the hatch is over. I know alot of people have good luck hatching different things under a hen but you do know some hens will kill babies that aren't chicks? This makes me wonder about the one you found out of the nest.

My broody is a sweet one and let us look under and see what was pipping and hatching. She even nudge her baby out and under her wing so we could see it. She is a proud momma.

3. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    I'm in the same situation....My three chicks are in a dog kennel within a chain link fence...can get out of both. I'm thinking of getting a box for them all, but not sure if the other hens will bother with them.

Any ideas of where to move her and the babies to and what to put them in????

4. mrbunker

Mar 21, 2008
    Southwest WA
    we hear peeps and have spotted at least one chick maybe two

5. mrbunker

Mar 21, 2008
    Southwest WA
    Quote:the box is within a dog crate, so i would just take her out of the box and leave everyone in the dog crate. she seems comfy in the crate.

6. mrbunker

Mar 21, 2008
    Southwest WA
    UPDATE

checked on my broody and babies this afternoon and she and babes were out of the nest. only three made it because of MY ERROR. so warning to all you other newbies!!! DON'T LET THE CHICKS HATCH IN A TUB OR BASKET. all nine hatched out and looked very healthy, but 6 fell out of the tub between the tub and the side of the crate and could not get back under mama.

i thought the because she went broody in the tub in the barn i should leave her there and just move the tub in the crate (safe place away from the rest of the girls). less change, less chance she would abandon the nest. blah, blah, blah

live and learn...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by