When to place RIR hen back into the flock.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BENNY, Mar 25, 2011.

1. BENNY

BENNY Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    I have 5 RIR hens and 1 RIR rooster that are now 10 months old. One hen went broody and hatched 5 chicks that are now three weeks old. I have the mother hen and chicks living in the

same coop with the other chickens but the chicks and mother hen are separated from the rest by chicken wire. When can I take the mother from her chicks and put her back into the flock.

Or should In wait and put both mother and chicks back into the flock together. I do have a heat lamp in with the chicks and mother, that the chicks can use all the time. I would like to keep

them all together, in the same coop and same free range if I could because I have 16 more new chicks coming April 7th and they will take another coop. Any advice is always useful and

appreciated. Thanks, Benny

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Let mother hen introduce the chicks to the flock. It's very likely that she won't let anyone pick on her chicks. This way they will grow into the pecking order.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's what I'm thinking. Then the chicks will just be "the babies" vs being "the newbie with no one to watch out for them".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by