When to process the Production Reds or RIR's????

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by leasmom, Aug 5, 2008.

1. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Okay mine are 12 weeks today and I can really tell that I have 2 roosters for sure, the other 3 are questionable. But, when do I process them???

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    15+ weeks and get them on a high protein broiler feed ASAP

3. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Quote:I didn't know about the feed. What will happen if you don't put them on that? We processed a RIR and and EE at 15 weeks but there were with my pulletts eating layer crumbles. Is that okay. We haven't eaten them yet.

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    He suggested the higher protein feed so they'll bulk up more before processing time and yield more meat. [​IMG] There's nothing wrong with the ones that were eating layer pellets.

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The difference between birds raised on pullet developer versus broiler feed is very significant, even for as short as a 2 week period.

6. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    what about natural foods? Any suggestions about what to feed them? We give them lots of lentils mixed with cornmeal and whole wheat flour, corn, peas, flaxseeds, oats, and wild bird seed? Anything like that that will bulk them up? Also, when do I separate the males from females??? If the other ones are in fact female...I noticed today that at least two were very distinctively roosters.

7. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

yep, I am kinda in the same boat (when to butcher).

But with my light Brahmas, since they all have those little combs, it just isn't obvious enough to me! [​IMG]

Two are obvious roosters, but at least 4 more are still so iffy.

sheesh

I like the idea of improving the meat by feeding the high protein feed, but then I would have to have a separate place to put the extra roos! [​IMG]

If you are stuck with the roos in with the pullets (so no special feed), and such a slow growing breed like the Brahma, when is the best time to butcher?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by