When to process the roos??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Doormantnt, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Doormantnt

Doormantnt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I had a successful hatch (14 of 17) from a barnyard flock, mostly Dominique genes. The hatch was first week of april so birds are bout 2mths old, and I'm seeing a whole lot of roosters. Don't want, or need them with my small existing flock of 5, and what ever hens remain out of that hatch. So they gotta go. I have no problem with the processing part, as I am an avid hunter, and outdoorsmen, and familiar with where my food comes from. I'm just not sure when to process. They still feel pretty bony to me.

Should I seperate out known roos (approx 8 now) and switch feed to something else. They are all on start and grow, and what ever treats the laying flock get.

Thanks for the insight.

TNT

2. MarinMama

MarinMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    i'd love to know this as well...have 7 week olds and they do not seem that meaty.

3. Doormantnt

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I know there is alot more knowledge on here....Any ideas????

Thanks

TNT

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Well last summer I did my first batch, they were a barnyard mix too, but mostly barred rocks, I think. Anyway I did them at about 4.5 months. They were a bit small, however, their hen counter parts never grew into a big bird. They tasted great, but did not have a lot of fat on them. Mine were tougher than store bought, but not objectionably, and that is because they did free range so much.

I was running out of space, as they were all getting bigger, and as winter comes on I need to lock them up more due to predators.

MrsK

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  5. Doormantnt

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Ok, so still have a couple months of puttin up with the roos. Should I try to seperate from the hens and feed anything different?? Thinking of some better finishing feed then start and grow (unmedicated).

Thanks.

TNT

6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Also, you might check out the meaty bird section.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't go any more than 20 weeks. If you do, slow cook them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by