When to process??

ShaggysGirl

Songster
10 Years
May 24, 2009
Temperance, MI
HI Guys,
I have 7 EE cockerels which is 5 to many and DH wants to send them to SIL to be processed. How old is the norm for sending them off to freezer camp? They are only 10 weeks old now but seem to be getting pretty big. Is there an age or weight to go by?
Thanks

Last edited:
You should be good anywhere between 12-22 weeks. EE tend to grow out more slowly so I would say in about 18 weeks you should have about a 4 lbs dressed weight chicken.

Size depends on how long you want to keep them...

WHen they get to the size you want to cook them would be my advice. Remember, you are going to be paying to feed them, and is the cost of the feed to wait another month or two worth the pay out for the feed? If they range and forage for most of their food, then sure, give it some time to let them make a bigger meal, but if they are close enough for you to send to the freezer or stew pot, sharpen up the knives and go to work.

I dont let any roo age older than about 12-14 weeks-I had hatched out wayyyyy to many-like 75% roos! Ive processed them anywhere between 8-14 weeks-only because I was not going to keep spending the $ on birds I wasnt keeping-I tried to give them away on here and craigslist etc. nothing so I had no choice but to process to regain some $ out of them:-( I dont like to do it-its always sad-I always apologize and say a little prayer but then I do the deed-

Back
Top Bottom