when to pull eggs????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PhlyinPheBee, Jun 26, 2010.

1. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I have a cochin banty sitting on 4 eggs. Today is day 10. I candled last night and only one shows any signs of life. Should I pull the others now or give more days. The eggs were all laid and placed under her on the same day.

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    It couldn't hurt to let them stay. I've known folks who do not candle and then after hatching found that a few were either dead or unfertilized. As long as bacteria hasn't gotten in, it will not explode or anything. I don't have experience with broodies, however, I feel like if she had more than one egg she might not abandon it. Does anyone know if this is true?

As far as removing the eggs, if you didn't know whe was sitting on them, she'd sit on them all for the duration, naturally. That brings up another question. Will she push the bad ones aside eventually or just leave them while she's raising the chick?

Good luck...

3. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    This is her first batch of eggs. I got them from my aunt. She has my cochin hen with her cochin male. I am so hoping for a full cochin hen but of course her 2 eggs show not a sign of life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by