when to purchase chicks ( one day old )

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ipie68, Oct 29, 2011.

1. ipie68

ipie68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
    what time should I purchase one day old chicks and how long do they have to stay inside [​IMG]

2. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    They have to stay inside until they are fully feathered. About 6-7 weeks.
    Hatcheries and feed stores carry the most chicks in the spring.

3. ipie68

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
    thank you [​IMG]

4. new2chickens2011

Jun 11, 2011
    You're welcome!! What breeds are you planning on getting?

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Actually, "where" they are kept to brood is irrelevant, although it is instinctive, here on BYC, to imagine them in one's bathroom, basement or laundry room.

What is important is proper brooding space, proper warmth, clean water, bedding and good feed.
    That can be done in a garage, on a porch, in the barn, in the coop. People who brood indoors sometimes enjoy the experience while others find the smells and dust to be quickly intolerable.

6. new2chickens2011

Jun 11, 2011
    Fred's Hens :

Actually, "where" they are kept to brood is irrelevant, although it is instinctive, here on BYC, to imagine them in one's bathroom, basement or laundry room.

What is important is proper brooding space, proper warmth, clean water, bedding and good feed.
    That can be done in a garage, on a porch, in the barn, in the coop. People who brood indoors sometimes enjoy the experience while others find the smells and dust to be quickly intolerable.

True! Sorry. I meant, and assume ipie68 meant too, with heat. Mine mostly go in the garage or basement. [​IMG]

7. ipie68

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
    i plan on getting the rhode island red [​IMG]

8. new2chickens2011

Jun 11, 2011
    Nice!!!! [​IMG]

9. ipie68

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
    thanks [​IMG]

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Here's the thing on ordering day old chicks this time of year. The hatcheries are virtually shut down. Hens rest. Breeders are reviewing their flocks, and the selection is dismal even if you can find chicks. Also, mail ordering is getting risky. It's getting colder and the Post Office won't provide heat for your chicks in the back of their trucks.

Personally, I'd really recommend you wait til spring. It is all just tougher this time of year. Really, it is just tougher. Where would you take them at 6 weeks of age? Out to a coop? It will be Christmas time. Just thinking out loud.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by