when to put babies outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickensinMT, Jan 10, 2008.

1. chickensinMT

chickensinMT Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2007
    Churchill MT
    I'm planning([​IMG] ) on getting baby chicks the first week of march from Ideal. there should be 9 with out packing peanuts!! Any way I was wondering if they could be put outside with a heat lamp the 1st or 2nd week of April? should I wait longer or what?

Oh and at night they would be put into a shelter w/ the heat lamp [​IMG]

2. red_raider_64

red_raider_64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Stephenville Texas
    I wouldnt be to worried about them being outside that young as long as they were in a pen. If you dont have a roof than I wouldn't because of predators.

3. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    when they are fully feathered they can be out on thier own, without the lamp. start at 95 and take away 5 degrees a week, so if temp is staying above 65 they should be OK without the lamp, regardless of feathering, but if your worried about it give them the lamp, they will chose whether to stay under it or not. Just make sure they can get out of the heat if they want.

4. chickensinMT

chickensinMT Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2007
    Churchill MT
    Thanks for the replys! they will be able to get out of the heat 'cause their shelters are kind of large and the pen they will be going into does have a roof [​IMG] which is a very good thing considering the predators and cats that we have!! they only reason I asked is because we usually get them latter so it is usually warmer! (i live in MT and April can be kind of chilly!) the shop, where we keep them, is overcrowded with stuff so they need to get out of there as soon as possible, or so my parents say. So anyway i was just wondering. thanks again![​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by