When to put chicks in the barn with other chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RobnCj13, Nov 9, 2014.

1. RobnCj13

RobnCj13 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2014
    We have 11 chicks that were hatched October 6. Our coop is built inside our pole barn to keep the chickens out of the weather. We have 4 hens and a rooster already out there. We are not planning on using a heat source to heat the coop. We do have a ton of straw out there. We live in NW Ohio, the weather will be turning very cold here in a couple weeks. We thought about putting our new chicks in the coop before it gets really cold, thinking maybe the chicks will get used to the cool weather before it gets freezing cold. This will be our first winter with chickens/chicks, and are looking for advice.

2. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Are they ready no.It's just a matter of them being too cold.
    Their only 3 months.You should wait until they reach sexually mature ages(You will know once they squat).
    This is my two and one year old hens 2 winter.They still are adjusting AGAIN.

You young birds will be frozen and maybe even suffer from frostbite.
    The coldest to them is maybe under 45 degrees.20 30 degrees is pretty dang bad for them.
    I suggest on putting some type o ground heat lamp covered in fencing,(just so they don't burn themselves.)

Chickens make body heat.If the coop is large,not enough will cover,if it is maybe medium,it's possible they may.

Introducing them may cause problems.The adults will probably peck/kick the younger ones away.
    So they may not roost,or hurdle with flock.

You only have 16 birds.The 5 adults will kill the pullets(maybe).
    Be sure you have atleast 1 hiding spot for them.

-ThePRfan

3. Lamancha

Lamancha Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Oregon
    I throw my chicks out in the "big girl" coop at about 6 weeks of age. I figure they are fast enough to outrun the big mean hens at that age. Our coop door is open to a fenced in 20'x30' run 24/7, so they aren't "cooped up" together in a small space.

I know this is earlier than a lot of people do it, but so far I have never had a problem. My hens and rooster aren't very mean though. Sure they peck at them if they get to close, but they don't go out of their way to run them down and attack them. The babies learn fast who to stay away from.[​IMG]

That being said, I do supervise at first, and I am ready to separate if needed. They also need a place to sleep in the coop that the bigger birds can't get to.

I have two 12 week old pullets now who have been outside for well over a month now. I am in a pretty warm area though. It rarely gets below freezing at night. It has been for the last week though and they are fine. I think 11 of them would huddle together if needed.

Put them out there of a couple days during the day only when you can sit and watch them to see how they do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by