when to put chicks outside

Xanthfox

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2015
Hemet, CA
So I'm looking to get some Wynadette and Plymouth rock chicks (1 week old approximately) how old do they have to be until they can safely be out outside with my Rhode island reds?

If you have a heat source that can be outside, I would put them in a pen near the other birds (where they can see each other) around 3 weeks. Then somewhere around 8 weeks old seems to be a good time to let them be with older birds...as long as they go in as a group. Watch for birds getting picked on HTH:D

They can be off heat when fully feathered usually around 6 weeks, unless it is very cold outside and then I stretch it to 8 weeks of heat offered (but they can come and go in and out of coop).

I have found 16 weeks to be best for integration with older birds. RIRs have a rep for being a bit pecky and aggressive so I'd be prepared to carry them through until 16 weeks separately if necessary.

Here is a good temperature guide:
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html

I might put my chicks out at 6 weeks under a firmly attached light, in a separate brooder where big chickens cannot get to them but they can hear each other. I like to keep them warm till 9 weeks at least.

Back
Top Bottom