When to put ducklings outside

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LotsOLopsChicks, Mar 10, 2015.

1. LotsOLopsChicks

LotsOLopsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2015
    Virginia
    Okay, hi everyone!

I have 5 ducklings: Pekins, Mallards and a Runner(I think). They are 1.5-2.5wks old. It is supposed to be in the 60's-35's here. I'll keep them in a cage in the coop of course, and I may be able to add a heat lamp but I have a light on at night for my chickens.
    Anyways, is it safe to put them outside yet? I am guessing that my coop is anywhere from 15-5 degrees warmer, as it has a light, full time rabbits housed and a southern facing window.

So, thank you for your answer! They have been swimming in the bathtub for 100% supervision for .5-1wk give or take a little. They love it!

Thank you again!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am not sure if you mean let them play outside with your supervision, or just leave them in a coop or pen outside. Could you clarify that? Thanks.

3. LotsOLopsChicks

Feb 21, 2015
    Virginia
    Oh, sorry! I meant putting them outside in the coop in a cage/brooder and outside playtime w/ supervison.

I have bantams and standards, but they wouldn't go right together, also I have a 250w heat lamp running.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    At 2 weeks old, they should be around 80˚F - if they are near that temperature, it's sunny and not windy, and under direct supervision, I would try it - I also would watch very closely, any sign of chill and they'd be back in. And I would not have them out for very long.

5. LotsOLopsChicks

Feb 21, 2015
    Virginia
    I read 2wks old could be 75*f.

Is that not true?

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Depends.

Storey's Guide recommends 90 the first week dropping 5 degrees a week. We could get really detailed, and if it was the beginning of two weeks, then 80, but at 2 weeks 5 days that would be closer to 75, and . . . . . that's why watching them and recognizing the signs they are getting cool is important.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by