1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

***When to put her back outside?(pic)**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by annie3001, Jan 22, 2011.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Heres the story:[​IMG]
    ive had a sick chicken today:(. it was about 10 degrees outside.[​IMG] all the flock was out in their run. some liking it:), some not so much.[​IMG] so i find one of my rir on the floor of the run .. all puffed up and eyes barely opening.[​IMG] i thought for sure she was a goner. i brought her inside the coop and placed her in a nesting box which is also near our heat lamp. i went back into the human house and spoke to the hubby. alarmed about her dispostion i made the decision to bring her in the house. she is about 2 years old and a great layer. upon examining her body etc, she felt real cold and heavy. i think she was starting to become frozen outside.[​IMG] i felt so bad about letting them outside. but they like the fresh air. i put her in a spare cage and placed her in the living room. she stood with eyes heavy and still a bit puffed for about 2 hours. exhausted because i worked today, i napped.[​IMG]
    i awoke and went straight to the living room to find my girl still standing. but she was not puffed and looked very alert:). within the next few hours she ate and started drinking water. her bright yellow runny poop went to normal within the time i brought her in etc:weee. i couldnt believe it. if she stayed outdoors she might have just frozen to death. dont know. so here lies the question: when should i put her back outside in the coop? i know her buddies are wondering about her and she misses them too. but i want her strength back up. but again the weather here in ct. has been anything but warm and sunny. the warmest we have seen is about 20 ish. yucky.[​IMG]
    anyone with some advice? thanks again!!!![​IMG]

heres the lady in the cage in the warm living room.

[​IMG]

andrea-

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i would keep her in for a few days to keep a closer eye on her, her stance doesnt look like one of a healthy chicken in that picture (still a bit ruffeled, tail pointing down) so i would suspect there is something going on with her. in my experience a chicken wouldnt sit in a coop and let itself freeze unless it felt too sick to move about or couldnt keep itself warm due to sickness.

3. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Especially with the cold snap we're due for the next few days in southern new england! It's supposed to be in the negatives tomorrow night, I'd keep her in for that.

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    yeah i think i will keep her in the house till the cold snap freezes over. so to speak.
    i think maybe ill bring the whole flock in the house. [​IMG]

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    :)okay folks...bumping my own thread and asking for help. its getting really cold here. supposed to get in the -15 in the next few days. should i bring all my chickens (thats all 10) plus a rooster, into our warmer basement? i dont want to mess with their body temp by throwing them back outside. (not throwing, figure of speech) i just dont want to mess with their bodies. i can put them back outside after our freezing cold snap.? this (byc) is the only place i go on (website that is) to talk chicken talk! thanks in advance!! [​IMG]

6. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    if the other chickens are healthy and have suitable shelter that is well ventilated (but not draughty) then i would leave them outside. i only ever bring sick chickens in as they cant keep themselves warm..normally healthy chickens shouldnt have a problem with the cold (mine are out 24/7 in temps up to minus 20, with no heat lamp etc, just their chicken houses as shelter) if the roo has a big comb maybe a dab of vaseline against frostbite, but for the rest they should be ok [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  7. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i am gonna keep ever all the other chickens outside. ill move the sick one outside in a few days. thanks

8. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    I'm north of you in Maine, and I'm leaving mine outside. They are in the barn, and although their coop may be a little drafty. they all seem to be doing fine. In fact, they started laying again! I hope your girl recovers soon.

9. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    thanks. for the replies. the sicky chicky chicken is doing very well in the house. we moved here to a slightly colder part of the house, so we can get her used to the cold again. her poops are already back to normal. i am so happy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by