When To Put New Chicks Out With The Other Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by countrygirl911, Sep 11, 2010.

1. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    Hi I have 8 babies inside that are 5 weeks old and are out growing their room fast and i have nothing else to put them in. I also have 19 weekser and 17 wekers out side. so when is it the best time to put the babies outside

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    They need to be close to same size. There should be a huge size difference between 5 week and 17 week olds. You may have to add a piece of fencing down the middle of your run to provide too separate areas for the birds. The good thing about this is that they get to see each other BUT not hurt each other. That way when you do introduce them, there isn't as much fighting.

I did this and then introduced them in a HUGH area where there was lots of room for the little ones to hid from the big ones. They free ranged in this area during the day time, but then went to their separate areas at night. I did this for about a week.

Then, when I returned them to their separate areas - - - I left the door open so that they could come and go as they wanted to. The little ones still sleep separate from the bigger ones. HOWEVER, everybody hang out together without any problems during the day.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  3. wiss0023

wiss0023 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I did similar . . . first I let them out a couple hours a day separated by some chicken wire (large chicks in the run, and babies under the coop), probably a week, then I let them free range for a period of time outside together (probably only 2-3 days), and then when I introduced them entirely at night, I put the young chicks in the coop after the older ones had roosted up for the night. They are much more mellow when roosted and kind of wake up in the morning like "hey have you been here all night?" Worked for me! Good luck!

4. grandfatherjwv

grandfatherjwv Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2010
    Hello, I have found no trouble mixing different sizes. Just allow a place of refuge for the smaller chicks, especially when feeding.

5. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:I've had small issues everytime. . . . I tried to introduce three younger ones today. The fully mature hens did not mess with the young (3 month old) pullets, BUT the 4 month old pullets chased them all over the place. I introduced them to each other in a large area with palmento bushes all over the place. There were three different watering locations and two different feed places.

The trio I was introducing stayed together and ran and hid as the four slightly older girls hunted them down.

I locked everybody up in their own coops tonight and will try again tomorrow.

How do you mix your birds - - - how many and what age have you mixed ? ? ?

6. sixxchixx

sixxchixx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    i have four 13 weekers and 2 hens. i tried to integrate them this past weekend and they did great until nighttime... i have a large "chicken yard" and just let them hang out all 6 together both sat and sun but as soon as night fell the babies freaked out!!! they couldnt get any closer to me (litterally) i had one on my shoulder one in my arms and one trying with all her might to get on my head. it seems like the 2 hens dont really care about them as there was minimal pecking (they have been in a "growout" cage for 2 weeks) but the little ones were absolutely terrified of being left in the coop by themselves (without me)

are they just not "mature" enough? or should i just let them figure it out on their own (with the hens) and not worry about them until morning?

wiss0023-
    does the night introduction really work for both parties? or will they be terrorized in the morning?? i dont let the big girls out until about 7am

7. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I had trouble like this with my first clutch. Where were your girls before this ? ? Did they have LIGHTING at night before ? ?

Mine had the heater light before and then went to a dark coop and it was terrifying to the babies. I had to use a lightbulb and then over a couple of weeks reduce the lighting wattage until it was DARK . . .

8. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    Quote:Unfortunately, chickens aren't geniuses. Your little ones just didn't know where they were supposed to sleep! Last week, I changed the orientation of one of my chicken tractors from East to South. All twelve 14 week old chicks were frantic until I showed them how to get in their coop.
    This is the same reason I don't move my chicken tractors waaayyy accross the yard. I move it a little at a time.
    Dale-Ann

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by