1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to put newly harched chicks with mom of 3 five day old chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newbiechick1, Oct 10, 2015.

1. newbiechick1

newbiechick1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    We had a broody hen so we let her sit on a clutch. 3 hatched on day 21 and she stopped sitting. We removed the eggs and placed them in an incubator. 1 just hatched! When should I put the incubator chick with mommy hen and the other 3 babies?

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy newbiechick1

If I read this right, your mumma hen has babies that are now 5 days old and the little one you want to give her has only just hatched?

While I have had hatches here, I have had no experience with giving broody’s chicks or reintroducing chicks to a broody.

However, I think, if I have the timeline right, giving her a newly hatched chick when she has 5 day olds is fraught with danger. Not only will she maybe not accept the chick but the older chicks could also pick on it.

I am not sure that I would try it but hopefully someone with more experience will be able to chime in and offer some advice.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If it's been longer than 72 hours since the first hatch, your hen will not likely accept any new chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by