when to put peachicks out in the coop

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by jimmythechicken, Jun 18, 2010.

1. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    we let them out for a little bit today about an hour an we watched the hole time.but when do you think they will be o.k for good there run is covered so preditors are not an a problem.it is 75-80 during the day an high 50s low 60s at night.i was thinking put them out during the day an under heat lamp at night.they are around 3 weeks i think here is a pick.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    they seemed to love it out side but very tired afterwards haha

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Be lucky if those are two weeks. Way to early to be on the ground. Predator come in many forms, worms, coccidiosis, blackhead and etc. Bad to raise with chicken. I keep mine on wire bottom pens first few months

Peachicks feather out alot the first 2 weeks..and the first 2 months is when most lose them....one reason is they let them on the ground , and they pick up all kinds of diseases.....

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Yep, i don't let mine on the ground until after 3 months or so..... too many problems, especially in warmer weather.

4. jimmythechicken

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    thanks for the help guys i never knew that they should stay in for 2-3 months i will keep them in till mid aug thanks alot.

5. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Jimmy..not that they can't be outside just safer if not on the ground at such a early age...

6. jimmythechicken

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    do you think that if i layed hay or straw down on the ground that would be o.k or do you need wire?

7. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Do you think covering up germs with straw would stop them from getting to the birds ?

Yes I know some do let the peahens hatch and raise on the ground....but sure they lose alot of the chicks. In the past years I have raised many peachicks without losing any. I think that first month they need to be on wire. Myself i keep mine on wire for 2 to 3 months . Know alot of other big peafowl breeder.. keep them on wire for only a month.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by