When to put Red Rangers outside?

havery

Songster
6 Years
Feb 27, 2015
East Texas
My red rangers are 2 weeks old and they aren't feathered out but their brooder is getting awfully cramped. It's consistently in the upper 70's during the day and dipping down into the low 60's at night outside. They are averaging around 6.8 oz each. Would it be okay to put them outside in the tractor with some supplemental heat? I could give them a 60 Watt bulb, or if that's not enough I might go purchase a heavier duty extension cord that could handle a heat lamp. I also wouldn't mind them learning to forage a bit, they're eating us out of house and home (which is a good thing I guess!). We have 27 of them right now.

Also, I have 5 Cornish Xs I purchased from TSC as replacements for the rangers I lost to shipping stress. They are only a week old right now but the little buggers are almost as big as the rangers already (averaging 6 oz!). I know they need another week or so inside, but when the time does come, would it be possible to keep them in the same tractor as the rangers? Or will the rangers crowd them out for resources? I've already noticed the rangers are a bit more voracious when food goes down while the cornishes are usually content laying down while they eat.

Edited for clarification.

Last edited:
60 to 70 degrees seems a bit chilly for two-week old chicks. They will need a heat lamp unless they have some access to direct sun so it warms them up. Provide shade so they can get out of the sun, as well. At night they would be cold without a heat lamp. You can see if they are warm enough by their actions. If they huddle under a heat lamp, they need the extra warmth. If they ignore or avoid it, it's not needed. Once my pullets were mostly feathered, at about 6 weeks, they did fine outside with zero supplied heat, and night temps fall to 40 degrees right now. They have a doghouse-size coop (just 3 chicks) that is closed up at night for warmth and to protect from predators. It has a little window to let light and sun in. I open it up once it warms up a bit so they can enjoy their fenced-in area all day.

Back
Top Bottom