When to put Silkies outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by IroquoisEgg, Aug 12, 2010.

1. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    What age is good for putting silkies in the outside coop? Mine are 5-6 weeks right now and feathered in except for a few pin feathers on their necks. They're getting too big for the brooder!! Temps here are upper 50's-lower 60's at night. I'm in Sacramento area. Any advice would be great!

2. Chickenlover7711

Chickenlover7711 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    well I put my silkies out side around that age but if it gets that temperature at night you should put a heat lamp in there to keep them warm. But otherwise they should be fine

3. speakup4kids

speakup4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Yuba City , CA
    I'm in Yuba City, so not too far from you and I put my silkies outside at about that age. They are doing great and don't seem to need any supplemental heat. I think you are probably fine to let them out, just keep an eye on them for the first little bit and watch for signs of chill. I am too paranoid to have a heat lamp outside so I watched them carefully to make sure they were ok out there and mine were fine.

4. Delta3013

Delta3013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    Mine are around that age and they go outside during the day. (Don't trust leaving them out there at night) And you got to remember that silkies are a very cold-weather tolerant chicken.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  5. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

Quote:What I wouldn't give for temps in the 50's - 60's!! My peepers went outside this week at 5 weeks old, but our nighttime lows have been in the mid to upper 70's. Daytime highs in the 100's. [​IMG] (Okay, not mad as smiley implies, but I am burning up. [​IMG])

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm not treating my silkies any different than any of my other chicks. All my chicks lost their heat lamp at around 3 weeks old, because our nighttime temps. at that time were in the high 70s plus oppressive humidity and adding a heat lamp at any height was just too much. They are in an outside (screened porch) brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by