When to put the babies outside?

SproutGirl

Songster
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Missoula, Montana
Hello,
I have a question about when to put my birds out side in the coop. I have 6 chicks that are 6 weeks old as of today, and I'd like to have them out of my house soon. I think they would be much happier with all of the room they could have outside in the coop than in their cardboard brooder, but I worry that they will get too cold. I live in Montana, and we are still having a few nights that dip just below the frezing mark. I have one bird who hasn't quite feathered out on his back yet, and I worry that he especially will get too cold. Does anyone in a similar climate have any suggestions? My coop is a reclaimed old out building from 1940 that is about 10 x 20 feet with a 15 foot roof. There is no electricity in it. Thanks!

Can you partition off a small area to use as a brooder? Also is there any way to run a drop cord out there to hook a heat lamp up? They will still need supplemental heat till they get a wee bit older.

I put my 4 week olds in a small run outside in the day , as long as it isn't raining and bring them in at night.
The temp here is around 77 in the sun and they seem to be quite happy.
I even put my one week olds out for an hour in the sun the other day just to give them a bit of air and a different view !
smile.png

Could you not put them out in the day and bring them in at night ?

We live in Texas and it is currently 92 degrees. I have put them in a completely protected coop/yard. I hope it is ok, they seem to LOVE it. They are approximately 2.5 weeks old. I put their feed and water out as well. Is there anything I need to be concerned about?
Thanks

NEW MAMA :)

update: we started putting them outside during the day and inside at night. When we went on vacation it made more sense to put in coop and have someone check on them daily instead of being in small box. We did run a heat lamp to the upstairs part of coop where the boxes are at. They didn't like going upstairs initially but they seemed to get the hang of it. Living in Texas we are 80s at night so I think they were fine temp wise. Now at about 6 weeks they hang in the run area during day and put themselves to bed at night.

All is good:). Now we are just managing our little ScissorBeak. Her beak became progressively worse while we were gone, which I've heard is normal. I'm now feeding her hand feeding formula that I bought at local pet store. She seems to be doing better so far(more energy and not chirping all the time), this is day 3 of the new food. Wish me luck with her.

Back
Top Bottom