When to put the dear little things outside...

jcbydesign

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
Portland, OR
smile.png

I live in Portland, Oregon and have three 6 week old chicks: a Barred Rock, An Ameraucana and a Buff Orpington. I need some advice on when I can transfer them outside to the chicken coop. I know they'd need a heat lamp, which they are already basking under, but would dearly love to get them out of my bathroom. Any suggestions? How-to's.
Thanks, as you can see I am very new to the world of back yard chickens.

there are a variety of variables at play...

1) are they fully feathered out?
2) what are your overnight lows?
3) you say they are still on a heat lamp inside -what temp are you keeping them at?
4) how warm can you make it outside with the heat lamp after it cools off considerably at night?

in almost any case, you can almost definitely start transitioning them now. get them outside in a run during the day for ever increasing amounts of time. as long as they have protection available from any sun that may be shining or rain that is falling, they will be very happy. a bit before dusk, turn the light on in the coop and either they will be attracted to it and go in on their own or you will place them in there until they get the hang of it.

this will serve a couple purposes. it will get them out of your bathroom for at least part of the day. it will make them happy and healthy. fresh air, exercise, more to do, etc. it gets them on a more natural light type schedule. it will make the eventual night spent outside a bit less shocking, though if you put a lamp in their coop and they aren't cold, they will be totally fine. it's when you turn the light out that there will be protests. but that time comes for every little peep. good luck

Thank you for the information, it was a great help. Nights are in the 40's here and down to 30's (occasional 20's) in winter. Days are ranging in the 60's for now. They are fledged out with the exception of a few downy feathers on the Barred Rock's head...LOL!
They will have their first outing today while I plants some roses. Can't wait to see their antics.

Back
Top Bottom