When to put the ol' girl down??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by yourbadd, Jun 30, 2010.

1. yourbadd

yourbadd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2009
    Cardington, Oh
    We had a nasty raccon attack last Thursday and lost 7 hens. One of my 2 yr old Barred Rocks was injured. She is favoring her left leg and may have broken her right wing. She's not actively seeking food or water and I've been "force" feeding and giving her water since the attack. She will come out of the coop but just sleeps all day. The other hens are picking on her and she is covered in poo from laying on the bottom of the coop all night. It's been a week and I'm not seeing much improvement from her. At what point do I say she's suffering and humanely put her down??

Deborah

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

So sorry that you are going through this. Only you know when it's time. Chickens can survive some awful wounds, but if she is not getting better...

Good luck

Imp

3. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Very sad, indeed. It's possible that a puncture wound or two might have escaped detection and are now badly infected. Some of the depression might be as a result of pain from her injuries, too. If you're not in the position to set the broken wing, bathe her, look for and treat any wounds or abscesses, purchase necessary medications, and/or consult a Vet...then I would say, "It's time."

I'm so sorry for your loss.

4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    If you were seeing improvement or a will to live, I might say keep fighting. But if she's given up and wants to rest, perhaps it is time to let her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by