1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

When to put your chicks out with the adults???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by beckiespor, May 14, 2010.

1. beckiespor

beckiespor Hatching

May 14, 2010
    I am fairly new to rasing chicks and have a couple of questions. I have been told many different things about when to integrate my chicks into the flock: from the morning after adding them to the flock at night, to leaving them for weeks in a separate place. Could anyone help me know when to put my chicks out. I have been waiting till they are about a month old and then putting them out after I know they have a full body full of feathers. I have been doing this as I was told they can not control their body temp unitl they have feathers. My chicks: Houdans, Silkies, and Favorelles (how do you pronounce thart?) are a month old and I have just taken them out of a cage and put them in their own mini yard I built inside my 5 ft 100 by 50 ft chicken yard.

Help

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    If possible, it's best to wait until they are 18-20 weeks old before putting them together or even having them in the same coop as mature birds. Reason for this, a young birds immune system isn't as strong as it needs to be before this age to have to fight off potential adult bird diseases.

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by