When to quit turning & setup for hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mvktr2, Nov 17, 2009.

1. mvktr2

mvktr2 Out Of The Brooder

I've seen a couple of post stating people quit turning their eggs at day 11 or 12. Is this practice okay? If it's okay to quit turning the eggs now then I would only need to open the incubator to add water every 3-4 days.

My current eggs are on day 14. I did a 'final' candle last night and could see distinct air sac, very thick/opaque growth with just a vein every now and then. I began with 15 eggs, 10 wht. leghorn 4 Delaware 1 mystery, and now have 7. 4 eggs were not fertile and 4 died in progress including 1 stinker... wheew glad I caught that one.

Any advice on preparing the incubator for the hatch at day 18. I have a homemade incubator with 15w bulb, cpu fan, & wire rack. I was thinking of lining the bottom of the bator with a trash bag to keep the gunk from saturating the styrofoam. What do you folks do?

Schlante,
    Phillip

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    You "can" stop turning the eggs at day 12 b/c the embryos are able to move on their own at that time. However, it's best to turn them until day 19 and then stop.

3. PaintedGemsRanch

PaintedGemsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia
    I wouldnt recommend the chicks hatching on a trash bag... they will slip around, causing splay/spraddle leg. Try using that kitchen shelf liner its kinda like a foam. As for turing I would stop at day 18 and get the humidity up and dont open the bator unless necessary.

Edit to say: Sorry didnt realize you had a wire rack in there... I wouldnt see why you couldnt put a trashbag in the bottom then.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  4. mvktr2

Quote:Sorry I wasn't clear. The trash bag would be lining the floor. The eggs/chicks are about 2" above that on a 1/4" hardware cloth shelf which is raised over the entire bator floor. I also was planning on putting down the kitchen material before hatching.

Thanks,
    Phillip

5. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Normally you stop turning on day 18, and try not to open the bator until after hatch is complete and chicks are dry & fluffy!

6. mvktr2

Okay so I'll keep turning till day 18... no lazy incubating for me I guess! [​IMG]

Any ideas on best ways to boos humidity. I was having trouble keeping it at 60% and put a larger pan, aluminum 9"x9" pan, which just seemed to make the bator run cooler. I eventually took it out and went back to my original smaller plastic pan. Would aluminum absorb heat or something? I think I'll add another sponge to the existing pan creating greater surface area, but I doubt that'll be enough to boost humidity to 80+%. I suppose I'll try another plastic container.

Schlante,
    Phillip

7. PaintedGemsRanch

PaintedGemsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia
    70% Humidity is the max you should need. Too little humidity and you shrink wrap the babies, too much and they drown... I like to keep mine no higher then 65%, reason being when the babies start coming they cause the humidity to rise by themselves. I use a small glass dish with a washcloth in it. I place some aquarium tubing through a vent hole into the dish so I dont have to raise the lid if I needed to add water. Others swear by those shammies. What ever water you add to raise the humidity make sure its warm.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by