When to rebreed meat rabbits who lose a litter?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by AussieSharon, Jul 7, 2008.

1. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    My rabbit kindled on Friday and of the original 13 there are 5 left living. I am thinking they aren't going to make it and that she isn't caring for them. Not her fault at all, she kindled all of them on the floor of her wire cage because I hadn't put the nesting box in yet. I put all the kits and a nesting box in her cage immediately but I think the damage may have been done.

So my question, IF the remaining 5 don't survive how long should I wait until I breed her again?

UPDATE: when I checked this AM all 5 kits were dead. I'll rebreed her in a week and take it from there.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  2. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

some people breed them right after they give birth.. i would wait about a week after .. i have had meat rabbits... just to let ya know [​IMG]

3. AussieSharon

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Thanks so much. I didn't want to wait too long if they all die but didn't want to over breed her either. I'm hoping that the remaining 5 will make it but 2 don't look very good.

4. AussieSharon, I just wanted to say that I LOVE your signature [​IMG]
    It's soooooo true *as I am climbed on by three kids who have spent the last two hours wrecking my house and driving me crazy!*

5. AussieSharon

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Thank you! We went out for lunch yesterday for our wedding anniversary ( 17th ) and a small gift shop we stopped at afterwards had a sign with that exact saying. I laughed so hard I cried. My 5 and 13 year old sons didn't see the humor in it like I did. [​IMG]

6. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

You should have bought that sign! I have a sign in my dining room that says "An Old Rooster and A Young Chick Live Here" and my husband is 13 years older than me, it's perfect!!

My kids are 7, 6, and 2 1/2 AND I think I'm preggers with number 4 now, shhhhh don't tell anyone [​IMG] I still have like a week to wait for the test but the symptoms are already there. I must be crazy [​IMG] Or I've got some awful stomach bug....

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  7. AussieSharon

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    My 13 year old told me to get the sign but as cute as it is it doesn't go with a single thing in my house so I passed.

Congratulations on the possible #4 How exciting! Can't wait to hear your results in a week. I hope you aren't like me. My morning sickness started at 3 weeks pregnant with both of my kids and lasted all 9 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by