When to reintroduce injured chicken to the flock

arj767s

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2018
We have 5 hens with ample space. A couple of weeks ago, they pecked and almost killed one. I was able to get her out, doctor her wounds, and keep her separate. She is healing but still has a bald head and some dark scabs (they pecked her on the top of the head). She is currently free range and hangs out by the coop most of the day, so I'm not as worried about her being a "stranger". But when is the right time to put her back in the coop/run? We have been bringing her inside into a dog crate at night. She's used to the routine and let's us know when she's ready to come in. It's just not a good permanent solution for her. When is the right time to take the next step?

(We aren't sure why they pecked her. She wasn't the bottom of the pecking order or sick. They had plenty of food, water, and space. We'll never know I guess.)

I would be inclined to take one of the other hens out of the pen first and introduce her to your injured pullet's routine and "territory". That puts her in a more confident position and enables her to establish a pecking order without having to take on the whole flock at once. Watch how this goes for a few days and nights and then if you are happy with that and they have palled up, put them both back into the flock but only do so on a day when you have plenty of time to supervise them.

In my limited experience, they might go back to pecking even after she's healed. I had a cockerel who I found bleeding by his tail one day. I cleaned him up & applied blukote and they would follow him around waiting for him to stop and then peck him right where he was hurt. I separated him for several weeks and tried to re-introduce him after he was completely healed and they started after him again. I kept him separated after that, except when I let them out ranging and they'd follow him and peck his tail. After the last time that I just kept him separated and let him out on his own. Those same 2 birds are now separated b/c they go after anyone who's molting/ showing pin feathers.

Back
Top Bottom