1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to remove chicks? At leat 10 chicks so far! New Pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Epona142, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Epona142

Epona142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    So I have an "early bird!" The eggs are due tomorrow, and one decided to pop right on out tonight while I was out shopping. I am so excited. One more is nearly out now, and there is one pipped.

Now, I know better than to open the incubator as that may compromise the hatch, but surely that poor girl and the ones coming out now can't stay in there a long time?

When can I open the incubator for a few seconds to remove them, while leaving the other eggs?

Thanks so much!

[​IMG]

I have Rhode Island Reds and Black Sex Links in here...as you can see the first born is a (hopefully!) female BSL!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  2. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    They can stay in the bator for up to 24 hrs I would not risk the other eggs...should be fine till tomorrow evening...Good Luck with them.....

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    A chick can live off its yolk sac for up to 3 days !! To be on the safe side I wouldnt leave any chick in there over 48 hours !!

CONGRATS on the baby and pips [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Leave the lid on and be patient, they dont need anything for up to 3 days, that is how dayolds get shipped, and they do fine. [​IMG]

5. Epona142

Epona142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    Thanks for the replies! She's running around though, bumping into other eggs, is that okay?

One more almost out!

6. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:all the other replies are right on..

now think about it,,,she must have bumped into the ones that are hatching also, right?? duct tape your hands to your sides until sunday and just watch..

...jiminwisc.........

7. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    I have a still air incubator, temps are between 100 to 102. Can a baby chick stay in there at that temp?

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That's a good temp when they are first hatched.

Sunday morning you probably can remove all the fluffy ones... very quickly and move them to a warm 95 to 100 degree brooder. Get them water and show them the chick starter and make it so they can get away from the heat source if they want to.

9. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    I've followed everyone's advice here, left them in the bator and it works. leave them a bit longer and they will be fine.:<) I know it's hard.

10. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    GREAT !! [​IMG] Once again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by