when to remove eggs from egg turner?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teresaann24, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Iv heard its on day 18? also should i just take them out of the turner and lay them on a soft towel? Also after I remove them from the egg turner on day 18 should i still turn them or leave them be?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You should take them out of the turner late on day 18. Don't turn them after that. I set mine in an egg carton to hatch, but you can also lay them on their sides. I have better hatch rates using the egg cartons.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Exactly like Katy says...I don't hatch in egg cartons tho, I just lay mine flat on the wire to hatch out...we both get good results either way....her doing the carton, me without the carton.....

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    thanks everyone i thought it was day 18!

5. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    we just unplug the turner and let them hatch in it.

6. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:I havent tried the egg carton yet! when I start to hatch myself I will be doing the egg carton. A friend of mine is who is hatching some of my eggs in a incubator I'm guessing she will just sit them in the bottom of the incubator late on day 18.

7. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Yeah when i called my friend who has hatched dozens and dozens of eggs. She told me she lets them hatch in the egg turner.

8. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    I kept forgetting to stop turning all summer, or miscalculated the hatch date, and had so many chicks pip and even hatch while the turner was still going!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by