When to remove eggs from nesting box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunflowerbee, Sep 20, 2016.

1. sunflowerbee

sunflowerbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    Magnolia, Ky.
    Should I remove eggs from nesting boxes right after the hens lay.

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That's strictly a judgement call on your part.

Here's my rationale for gathering eggs right away. Eggs left in a nest box invite breakage as more hens stop in and lay on top of what's there. Eggs left in the box may get forgotten and spoil in warm weather.

On the other hand, eggs left in a nest invite other hens to lay there, making gathering the day's production simple.

I'm sure others can supply additional rationale for leaving or gathering eggs. Bottom line - it's not a critical issue. It's a choice not fraught with huge consequences either way.

2 people like this.
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Also broken eggs invites egg eating, which can turn some hens on to go looking for more.

4. sunflowerbee

Jun 26, 2016
    Magnolia, Ky.
    Thanks so much.....

5. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Eggs can stay in there for up to a week and still be fine, perfectly edible.
    So there is no hurry to remove them.
    I remove mine every evening when I get home from work. Some days I don't and just get them the next evening.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I do not work away from home...I collect eggs about 3 times a day...This year I have an entire new flock so my Pullets have not laid yet....I spend too much time with my Birds!

Cheers!

7. sunflowerbee

Jun 26, 2016
    Magnolia, Ky.
    I spend a lot of time with mine too. I love them so much [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. mamatink7

mamatink7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    We try and remove as soon as they are laid. Sometimes we actually get 'hot' eggs. I've been getting the girls once they leave box so I can put band on them & know for sure who is laying. They lay before 9 for 3 then before 2 if we get 4 eggs.

9. sunflowerbee

Jun 26, 2016
    Magnolia, Ky.
    That's a great idea... My hens free range all day. Will it be okay to band my hens?

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You can leg band any bird.

If you free range, are all your birds laying in the coop nests?

I gather eggs at least once a day, usually when I lock up after dark.
    When pullets are coming into lay, I gather more often....out of excitement to see who laid what and to gather any thin or soft shells before they make a mess.
    Also gather often if I have problem layer, had one hen laying lots of thin and soft shells before going into molt this year.....
    ....and a pullet who found they were tasty, so was keeping a close eye to keep opportunity low and the nests and other eggs clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by