When to remove Thermometer from incubator

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by spateslak, Mar 13, 2013.

1. spateslak

spateslak Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    Hi guys! I'm new to hatching chickens and this is my first hatch but I feel like I've read so much but the one thing I wasn't sure about is what to do with my thermometer now that my eggs have begun piping underneath it! The thermometer is laying on top of the eggs just like I read in the directions but now one of the eggs underneath is beginning to pip and I don't know what to do! I'm not sure if I should just leave it for fear of opening the incubator during hatching or take it out so it doesn't crush or trap the chick! It's just the thermometer that came with the Hovabator incubator but I'm still so nervous and I have no idea what to do! Please help!! Thank you!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]you could post this question in the section of the forum dealing with incubation. How far along are the eggs? Are they close to, or already starting to hatch? If you open the incubator the temps and humidity will dive. If the eggs are not ready to hatch you could reach in quicky and put the thermometer somewhere else. Then spray a little water to help get humidity back up.
    You really need a thermometer in there to check for overheating or under - some people use 2 or 3 therm. to be fairly certain of the temps.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] X2 the above. Keep an eye on the hatching chick and remove the thermometer if needed, but don't open the incubator unless you have to. Good luck with your hatch!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, spateslak, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! I defer to the experts, all matters involving incubating. Good luck to you!

5. spateslak

spateslak Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    They are on day 22 and I woke up and they were all piped so I cracked the incubator on the side and slid the thermometer on top of some duck eggs I have that aren't due until Friday so I hope that was okay! I tried to be really quick and not let any air in or out and the eggs were still moving a few minutes after I closed the incubator so I hope I didn't ruin anything! Thanks so much!

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Best of luck with your hatch [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What Sumi said - hope the hatch went well - welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by