When to replace a VERY mean roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by daniel-delarosa, Oct 13, 2011.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Seminole, Oklahoma
    I have a roo that is the meanest thing I have ever seen. I have flogged him numerous times and he wont back down one bit. I have kicked him off of me so hard I thought he was dead, but a few seconds and he is right back in attack mode. I hate to cull him out cause I know he is protecting his girls, but my wife and kids are afraid of him. I have an awesome little cockerel that we hold and hand feed daily that I plan on using for a replacement. When will he be mature enough to take over the "king of the roost" position? Six months old?

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Id get rid of that mean one yesterday. Theres nothing he's doing worth keeping him around if he's that bad. The other will grow up soon enough.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

He can start at any time after about 18 weeks old, though it may take awhile for the older hens to respect him. As far as getting rid of a mean rooster, the best time is always NOW, in my opinion.

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Quote:x2

there are plenty of nice roosters- think of your hens, they don't deserve the stress- its not fair to them or you- been there, done that-

5. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    The world will keep making more cockerels. No point keeping the mean ones.

6. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Quote:x2

there are plenty of nice roosters- think of your hens, they don't deserve the stress- its not fair to them or you- been there, done that-

X3
    The young will step up quickly. You'll see.

7. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Seminole, Oklahoma
    Thanks for all the quick reply's. Looks like chicken noodle soup for Sunday dinner!

8. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
  9. bjw113

bjw113 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Pikeville, TN
    We had a very mean rooster with our first go round of chickens.. he bloodied half a dozen and nearly killed one of our chickens with his antics... I read on the forum and the OVERALL response was to get rid of him... my hens would literally shake in fear anytime he would come around... FREEZER bound he was... now a year later we got a half dozen chicks from a breeder friend of mine and got a barred rock rooster out of the mix... he is now 5 1/2 months old... for at least the last 4-6 weeks he has taken over the entire flock of girls... for the first couple of weeks that we were interracting the newbies to the year old hens, he was very much ONLY with his little harem of 5 hens... now he is over all of them... and is a very nice roo... I will never ever regret getting rid of the mean one... and FORGET ever having a rooster that I am afraid of... ultimately, the way I see it, is that they are ALL my girls... and boy! and I will ultimately protect them, from even him, if necessary...Best wishes!

10. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    very well put! yes the hens are our responsibility, hadn't thought of wording it the way you did, my mean roo was a BR, he was fine then one day wham- this went on for awhile, but when he shredded one of the hens backs, went after the grandaughter and the guineas- it was enough... and what a relief..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by