When to roost?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WildflowerJLH, Aug 31, 2010.

1. WildflowerJLH

WildflowerJLH Chillin' With My Peeps

At what age do I need to make sure my chicks have a roost available to them? I have 2 x 5 week chicks and 4 x 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance for helping!

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    You can put roost in now and they would get on them!!

Missi

3. CorporateGranola

CorporateGranola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    South GA Swamp
    I put a very small branch in the brooder @ about 2-3 weeks to see how they would react & they did wonderfully. Your birds should be fine for you to go ahead and put something to roost on in the brooder/coop now.

4. t&a

t&a New Egg

Jul 25, 2010
    We have six 6 week old chicks now that we just moved out to their coop. We installed the handle of an old garden tool for them to roost on, about 18" above the ground. The roost is circular wood, and I used sandpaper to take off all of the slick finish. Seems to me like they should like it, but none of the girls are using it. What am I doing wrong?

5. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    I wouldn't rush them. Just provide the roost and they will start using it when they're ready. Mine are 4 weeks and they're starting to sit on top of things, but still like to snuggle with Momma in the nest box at night. But I've seen them sitting on the roost during the day, so they know it's there. Mine is a 2x2 sized roost.

6. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    I have a branch on the floor of the brooder that the babies have been practicing sitting on since day 1. I also have a large branch about 5 inches off the floor of the brooder that just this morning they have discovered is lots of fun. Babies are 8 days old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by