When to say Enough's Enough

ElizaMay

Songster
May 11, 2021
I have a batch of 5 week old chicks, bantam and standard size, the bantams are some sort of Hamburg cross, the standards are an I'm not sure yet. 7 were in the batch, and two were ITTY BITTY TEENY runts. They are now slightly larger, but still a third the size of their hatchmates. But almost all feathers are in on both.
Issue:
Because they were so tiny, I wet their crumble and set it in a small mason jar lid to start (they wete that small) and that got them originally eating. I moved up to a very small glass bowl 1.5 inches high. The trouble with that is they climb in and pack the feed down, and I was having to go in several times a day to restir and loosen it.
The rest of the chicks have now gone out to a stall in our barn with a light and are thriving, so I took their round metal feeder to try them eating dry out of it. Nope. Even back to the glass bowl but with dry, nope. They dance 8n it, scratch and fling it but won't eat it. Dry sprinkled on the floor? Nope.
So just when is sink or swim time? They can't have wet feed if in with their hatchmates, but I cant feed them wet and stir it forever while they l8ve in a brooder in my spare room.
Anybody else had experience with runts and this particular behaviour? Their cries of utter anguish without wet starter is driving me buggy, I refuse to be a mother hen forever. They need to leave and go to the barn.

Last edited:
I have a batch of 5 week old chicks, bantam and standard size, the bantams are some sort of Hamburg cross, the standards are an I'm not sure yet. 7 were in the batch, and two were ITTY BITTY TEENY runts. They are now slightly larger, but still a third the size of their hatchmates. But almost all feathers are in on both.
Issue:
Because they were so tiny, I wet their crumble and set it in a small mason jar lid to start (they wete that small) and that got them originally eating. I moved up to a very small glass bowl 1.5 inches high. The trouble with that is they climb in and pack the feed down, and I was having to go in several times a day to restir and loosen it.
The rest of the chicks have now gone out to a stall in our barn with a light and are thriving, so I took the round metal feeder to try them eating dry out of it. Nope. Even back to the glass bowl but with dry, nope. They dance 8n it, scratch and fling it but won't eat it. Dry sprinkled on the floor? Nope.
So just when is sink or swim time? They can't have wet feed if in with their hatchmates, but I cant feed them wet and stir it forever.
Anybody else had experience with runts and this particular behaviour? Their cries of utter anguish without wet starter is driving me buggy, I refuse to be a mother hen forever. They need to leave and go to the barn.
OMGeeze I thought I was having problems with just 4 lil chicks for first time...I'm so sorry you are having these issues!
I have no info to help...but 🙏 it works out soon for you!

OMGeeze I thought I was having problems with just 4 lil chicks for first time...I'm so sorry you are having these issues!
I have no info to help...but 🙏 it works out soon for you!
Hey don't worry🙂, it's only been two issues from 3 chicks out of 15. The first one ended up fixed when I took the 'screamy' chick and put him with another younger batch, and the dominant pullet chick in the batch grabbed him by the neck feathers and held him down till he stopped squawking. Issue resolved - no more screeching and he's getting along/feathering well/plump, playing and running around with the rest.
This biz with the tinies too shall pass.
I'm going to try decreasing the water in the starter over a course of several days as Chicalina suggested.
But if anyone else has dealt with this and has other suggestions, I'll gladly take those too 😁

Hey don't worry🙂, it's only been two issues from 3 chicks out of 15. The first one ended up fixed when I took the 'screamy' chick and put him with another younger batch, and the dominant pullet chick in the batch grabbed him by the neck feathers and held him down till he stopped squawking. Issue resolved - no more screeching and he's getting along/feathering well/plump, playing and running around with the rest.
This biz with the tinies too shall pass.
I'm going to try decreasing the water in the starter over a course of several days as Chicalina suggested.
But if anyone else has dealt with this and has other suggestions, I'll gladly take those too 😁
Yalls stories of "real" life with 🐔 blows my mind! I just told my husband again...I had no idea what I was getting myself into - n all I did was get up early and try to "coach" them outta the run to go to.playpen!

Do you have a smaller, docile chick who is accustomed to the dry food who could be put in with the tiny ones to teach them how to eat the dry food?

Under supervision, of course.
Unfortunately no. Every other chick is at least 3x their size, like an orange is compared to a grape. These two were fortunate enough to have one another.

Honestly, after they've recovered from shipping stress (Between a day and 2 weeks for me this year), I don't give them special treatment. I always get enough powder in my bag that the smallest sebright can still eat. I have one we call U.R. (ugly runt) that is still around somehow, but I give no special treatment now that I know he's not small because of lack of food. He'll sink or swim and I honestly won't be more than disappointed if he doesn't make it since he'll have to be culled anyways.

I think I will give it the 3-4 days transitioning from wet to dry, and then put them out with the rest, where I can't hear them complain about dry food. We have them for eggs, not pets, and I need to remember that. Plus they've been coddled for long enough to get their feathers. Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom