When to separate a bully

BigSurChick

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2018
I understand that the pecking order is a very sensitive order. I have 3 older hens (3 years, 2 sweet and easy Amercaunas and 1 little feisty Phoenix) and 4 new hens that are just starting to lay. The babies are all terrified of Phoenix- they are watchful of the two other large hens but not afraid of them. They can all be together with zero issues until Phoenix comes around. The larger hens will peck the babies at times (feeding treats) but never chase them or bully. Phoenix will chase and if she gets a baby, will jump on its back and peck at their combs or even try to rip feathers from their wings or backs.
I am not sure if this warrants removing her for a week or so. So far, no major injuries but it would be nice if everyone could get along. The gals have a huge open pen for the day and their coop is adequate size for the number of birds- I technically have room for one more. Phoenix is much smaller than the rest of the birds but she is bossy and high strung.
Should I try to mess with the pecking order or is this just chicken life?

That is unsafe behavior. I'd isolate her for a week.

I worry when people say they have adequate room without saying how much, especially when they say technically they have room for one more. What's that based on, many sellers of prefabbed coops advertise a ridiculous number. If you go with the magic numbers you often read on here, well you need more room for integration than for a flock that has been integrated, especially if you are integrating chicks with adults. That kind of behavior is sometimes an indication you do not have enough room.

How much room, in feet or meters, do you have? Photos to show how they go together could be helpful as it's not just a matter of square feet, the quality of that space is important too. How old are the babies?

20180714_112714.jpg
20180714_112620.jpg
20180714_112559.jpg
20180714_112554.jpg
I've inserted a few photos and here are some stats. The coop was designed by a professional and includes a 15 square foot henhouse above 48 square ft of open floor in the main coop. 18 linear feet of roosts in main house and 12 linear feet of roost space in the henhouse. 2 nesting boxes in the upper henhouse and one in the outer house. From 10:30 am to 6:00 PM, I open the back door and the gals have over 1000 sq ft of free range space to hang in.

Attachments

• 20180714_112501.jpg
    20180714_112501.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20180714_112714.jpg
    20180714_112714.jpg
    914.2 KB · Views: 2
To finish replying! The 3 older hens are 3 years and the babies are all just heading to 5 months- a Comet, a Partridge Olive Egger, a Brown Leghorn and a French Copper Maran. If the Phoenix is taken out, you would think the 6 were all best friends. Zero conflict.

I understand that the pecking order is a very sensitive order. I have 3 older hens (3 years, 2 sweet and easy Amercaunas and 1 little feisty Phoenix) and 4 new hens that are just starting to lay. The babies are all terrified of Phoenix- they are watchful of the two other large hens but not afraid of them. They can all be together with zero issues until Phoenix comes around. The larger hens will peck the babies at times (feeding treats) but never chase them or bully. Phoenix will chase and if she gets a baby, will jump on its back and peck at their combs or even try to rip feathers from their wings or backs.
I am not sure if this warrants removing her for a week or so. So far, no major injuries but it would be nice if everyone could get along. The gals have a huge open pen for the day and their coop is adequate size for the number of birds- I technically have room for one more. Phoenix is much smaller than the rest of the birds but she is bossy and high strung.
Should I try to mess with the pecking order or is this just chicken life?

Our chickens did that for awhile so we took them out until they were a bit bigger and could at least defend themselves and put them back in and we haven’t had any problems since ( we took the babies out not the bully)

The information I've found recommends 4 sq ft per bird coop space and 10 sq ft of run. At 15 sq ft, and 48 sq ft space may be the issue for them. How much time do they spend out in the range area?
I do like the design though

The information I've found recommends 4 sq ft per bird coop space and 10 sq ft of run. At 15 sq ft, and 48 sq ft space may be the issue for them. How much time do they spend out in the range area?
I do like the design though
Their house has 62 sq ft of flat roaming space between the two levels so that is a fair amount of space per bird- almost 9 sq.ft. per bird. They are in the run from 10:30am to 6:00pm and sometimes earlier or later depending on my work schedule.

At 5 months they’re almost at POL, not what I’d call babies but I’d think they could defend themselves and get away from her.
She sounds pretty vicious. I won’t keep birds like that for any reason.
They behave well and run but never try to fight back. Our Phoenix has always been last on the pecking order due to her small stature and in the past has never been aggressive. I'm just trying to figure out if she is salvageable sin e ahe wouldn't be much of a dinner.

That is a lot of room. You did well!

I have never had a pullet of any size fight back until they reach a certain point of maturity, not matter what the size. Usually that point of maturity is about when they start to lay, usually a few days or a coupe of weeks after, hardly over much before. Until they reach that point of maturity mine run away if they are in a conflict regardless of size.

I have seen hens and even fairly young chicks get along fine, it's not always a conflict. A lot of that is based on individual personality, especially of the older hens. Some are easy-going and laid back, others are bullies. Most somewhere in between.

Back
Top Bottom