When to separate cockerals and pullets

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NoisyCricket, Jul 25, 2011.

1. NoisyCricket

NoisyCricket Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    I have 44 straight run chicks who are 4 and 5 weeks old now (Wyandottes, Ameraucanas, Marens and 1 silkie). I was wondering at what point (or if) I need to separate the boy and girls to keep the boys from fighting over the girls? I am not sure how many of each I have as I am having trouble telling the difference with the Ameraucanas. I am planning on letting the cockerals grow up a bit before I decide who is staying and who is going.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    If they are raised together, usually there isn't too much fighting. They will adopt a pecking order and each chicken (boy and girl) knows his/her place in the flock. The times I've had multiple roos at the same time, it was only the head roo that crowed - the others were completely silent.

3. NoisyCricket

Jun 3, 2011
    Thank you! I will plan on leaving them together for the moment then. My DH will be thrilled to hear about the possibility of only one of them crowing [​IMG]

4. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry but I have 3 roos raised together and they all crow. Usually 2 do, but the 3rd isn't afraid to chime in. Usually Roo#2 will crow first. There is no guarantee on who will or won't roo.

5. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    I have 4 cockerels in with my 19 hens they are 3 1/2 months old and three of them crow but there really isn't any fighting.

6. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    We have 2 confirmed roosters out of 22 chicks, and at 11 weeks, only one crows with any consistency, but then he just started a couple of weeks ago. Number 2 crowed the other day, but it was really just a conversational SQUACK, not the good morning UR UR UR we get from our head rooster.

7. NoisyCricket

Jun 3, 2011
    As long as they don't fight I am good. I will just have to keep them cooped away from the bedroom window. I currently have a 9 week old Marens cockerel, and 2 pullets, housed in a tractor just outside the bedroom. He is just starting to crow and he gave us a very poor serenade at 4:30 am Saturday morning. I think the dogs barking set him off though. He didn't start until 9:30 Sunday & today. [​IMG]

DH is sort of happy I am getting into chickens. After years and years of practicing Equine Economics, Chicken Math doesn't seem to bother him at all. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by