When to separate pullets and cockerel hatch mates

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bluscorp22, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Bluscorp22

Bluscorp22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    I have 3 Cochin/turken cross cockerels and 1 Turkin cockerel along with 2 Turkin pullets. I am trying to find good homes for 3 cockerels. I am going to keep one. They are all 13 weeks old (hatched in my incubator) and presently all 6 in the same coop/run. I have another empty coop/run and am wondering how and when to separate them. Should I move the trio I want to breed now or keep the cockerels together and the pullets together until time to breed?

I have only had laying hens the past year and a half and have no experience having roosters.

2. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    i would just leave them together...if your trying to rehome it shouldnt be a problem..they have there order now and if you seperate they will do it again...

3. Bluscorp22

Bluscorp22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    Thanks! I appreciate your input. They seem to get along fine. It's not easy re-homing three roosters!! Any advice on that? I have them on Craigslist for $8 each. They really are cute! Naked necks and feathered legs and feet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by