when to seperate Roo's?and will big roo attack little roos?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by spish, May 12, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    just posted on someone elses thread but thought id start my own...

i have 9 x 9week old chicks....4 Roo's and 5 hens.
    last weekend they moved outside full time. the chicks have a seperate chicken house to the adults, but both house stand next to each other.
    the houses stand in a field over 100mx40m so plenty of free ranging space.
    At the moment the young chicks have a small fence round their house, so they can get outside, but the adults cant get to them, the adults have shown no intrest in the young ones at all.
    my adult flock consists of 8 hens and 1 Roo (who does a fantastic job of looking after his girls.)

if i started letting the youngs ones out of their fenced area...is big Roo likely to attack them..especially the younger roos?

also at what age should i be seperating the younger roo's from each other?

2. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i had 4 roos and 4 hens when we first started out.. they all got along great.. then at about 9 mos old we found one roo totally bloodied.. it was horrible . his face was so covered i thought he had lost his eyes. so i would seperate them when you see someone attempting to mate or earlier. they will fight to the death . we are now building more coops so the 4 boys can have their own harem lol. the wounded one we kept in for about 2 weeks so he could heal but they won't let him back in so for the winter he became our indoor roo.. talk about waking you up at sunrise lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by