When to seperate te rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lissalischicks, Jul 5, 2016.

1. lissalischicks

lissalischicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2016
    Los Angeles, California
    About 2 months ago I got 2 10wk old chickens. Well recently (they are 18wks now) one of them turned out to be a rooster. I am going to have to give the rooster away but don't know when to do it. They appear to be bonded and are always together. plus they are still afraid of the older chickens which are 25 wks old. When they are seperated they look for each other (she more than he now) I guess I am just concerned for the pullet and but don't know when to seperate them . I am concerned for her. I'm probably thinking to much into this but she will be alone.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    She is likely to remain on the periphery of the flock for quite some time. When she reaches adulthood, she will mingle as part of the flock with no problem. Whenever you separate them will make little difference.

Ct

3. lissalischicks

lissalischicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2016
    Los Angeles, California
    Thanks for the info. I guess I'm just attached to the rooster more than I want to admit

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    CTKen is correct that she will be an outsider for a long time. I personally would wait as long as possible before removing the rooster, he will probably provide the hen some protection from the older birds and help with her integrating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by