When to Seperate the Chicks from the Mother

gmc

Songster
12 Years
Nov 24, 2007
Clay City, KY
Hello All,
This is the first time that I've actually had chicks hatched by a broody hen. I set two different hens in the same run and now have issues with both hens trying to attach each other and peck at each others chicks. The hens hatched one week apart, they are currently separated within the run having one kept in the brooder. I'm in a bit of a quagmire as what to do. How old do the chicks need to be before separating from the mother hens? I have two different runs but the main run houses the main flock. So the most logical solution would be to move the mother hens back into the original run soon as the chicks can make it on their own.

Any help is much appreciated.
gmc

MOST chicks never meet thier mother, and are shipped as day olds from hatchery, so you can seperate them ass soon as they hatch, doesnt make mom happy, but she will get over it in a day or two. :eek:

You don't have to seperate them either. Mom willl take care of them. She will show them how to forage for food and where to roost.

When they are old enough she will let them be on their own.

Quote:
cool.png

Thanks to all for the comments. My question was more directed at removing the hens without any addtional heat source or other mommy things provided by the mother at birth. The cold nights would be an issue with early born chicks. The first hatch is three weeks old, not feathered out totally yet.

At three weeks old they need about 85 degrees so if you cannot give them extra heat, leave them with mama.

The hens will peck at each others babies because that is normal...the chicks will learn who to stay with and who to stay away from.

Back
Top Bottom