When to sex chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jennyhaschicks, May 15, 2008.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I have no idea when I can do this. [​IMG] I am new to having chickens and our first batch of chicks is almost a couple of weeks old. When can I start seeing the difference in the pullets and the roos? Can anyone give me any tips or is a great indicator the color of the comb? Any input will be appreciated.[​IMG]

2. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    It varies with individual chickens, I'm sure. Before I found this site, I always just waited to see who crowed. After reading these boards I paid close attention to comb color, And by two or three weeks old I had tentatively labeled all my chicks either "hen" or "rooster" based on how red or large the combs were. Now, at eight weeks, everyone I thought was a rooster is crowing, and everyone I thought was a hen are now obvious hens. So in my limited experience, the comb color is a pretty reliable thing to look for.
    If you're lucky, you could get a freebie. This year one of my little roos started crowing when he was only several days old. That was a surprise!

3. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Thank you for helping me out. I have been watching to see who darkens up and who doesn't. Of course it is still early for my babies anyway. It's kinda funny though one of my chicks seems to already have a darker comb. Beats me?? I wish what ever I have for roos would crow. That must be so stinkin cute to hear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by