when to start eating the eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by strutncrow, Mar 19, 2012.

1. strutncrow

strutncrow Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    my hen layed her first egg today and ive heard you dont eat the first couple eggs because theyre duds.i was wondering if its true for one and two how many eggs to wait.i read somewhere on here that when they lay their combs and waddles turn bright red but my hens didnt, does that mean shes just havin a test run with the layin.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Eat it! First eggs are great!

3. strutncrow

Feb 26, 2012
    ok i was gonna throw it away but i didnt,also the wife is case closed not gonna eat no "homegrown" chicken eggs so more for me.thanks for the info

4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I don't understand people's aversion to "homegrown" eggs...whats so great about store eggs sitting on a shelf for weeks, dipped in amonia or bleach from hens that never see the sun, or even get the chance to stretch their wings, stuffed in styrafoam cartons that don't biodegrade?

Sorry for the mini rant...I just don't get people's reasons for supporting the inhumane treatment of the battery hen just because they don't see it every day...first eggs are delicious...they are so rewarding after that long wait time and effort. I suggest you devour it with relish.

strutncrow, sorry if I sounded rude...I just re-read that...no offense meant [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    First eggs are okay, I've never heard of anything that suggests otherwise. Congratulations on your new layer! :woot

I don't eat cage eggs anymore after first finding out about battery hens a few years ago. I'll eat free range supermarket eggs if we're short, but I generally stay with our chooks' eggs as I know the 'free range' labels can be misleading sometimes. :p

6. strutncrow

Feb 26, 2012
    none taken,im the same way id rather know where my food comes from than have eggs from chickens that are kicked and hit and thrown around its sad.she also doesnt eat meat with bones in it,sorry im a country boy and i eat meat off the bone.

1 person likes this.
  7. strutncrow

Feb 26, 2012
    yeah thats true you never know what youre getting at the grocery nowadays

8. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

We ate our first eggs. I'm grossed out by pretty much everything but I'd pick home eggs over the kind that are laid by hens lying in and breathing in poop all day. That's just me though. I've read plenty of posts here about people who can't eat their chickens' eggs so it's not a rare thing.

We also eat our own cattle and hogs.

9. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    I also was a little weirded out back when I first started eating our own eggs. I dunno why, just knowing exactly where the eggs came from was weird at first. I remember well that first omelette. I waited until my husband took the first bite and told me how good it was. I really had to control my brain and not let my thoughts run wild. lol!
    Of course eating home grown eggs is so much better than store bought but for some reason we are all so distanced from where our food really comes from. We buy everything in packages and hardly relate it to animals at all.
    Now It seems totally normal and store bought eggs nearly make me gag. But I do remember that first bite... weirdness!

10. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you're right-so many people just think of their food coming from the store and don't think about where it was before that. When our girls laid their first eggs, our kids were all so excited to have some, because they are used to seeing their future meals in the backyard. It was 5 tiny eggs which I scrambled and I think we each got about a tablespoon. :lol: But anyway, I have not always lived on a farm so I think I can understand how it could be off-putting at first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by