When to start feeding chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Delmar, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

I need to know how soon to start feeding and watering baby chicks. Is there an existing thread that has this info?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Immediately. Dip their beaks, one by one into the water.

Offer chick starter feed, although they won't really get "into" it for a day or two. That's OK.

3. Delmar

Fred's Hens :

Immediately. Dip their beaks, one by one into the water.

Offer chick starter feed, although they won't really get "into" it for a day or two. That's OK.

Ok I dipped her beak in a few times. She raised her head and seemed to swallow but didn't seem to want to go back for more yet. how soon do I try again?​

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    As long as they know where their food/water is, they should be eating and drinking on their own.
    You can also sprinkle some food on top of their bedding or, better yet, paper towel so they can eat it more readily.

How old are the chicks and when did you get them?

[​IMG]

5. Delmar

This one hatched today about 12:45PM still waiting on the others.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, they won't be all that hungry for a couple of days! They are still absorbing the yolk and living off that nutrition. It's why hatcheries can ship day old chicks - they don't NEED to eat or drink for 72 hours (3 days).

Just have the feed and water available for them. Do dip their beaks in the water, though, so they know where it is.

7. Cindy Hooper

Cindy Hooper New Egg

Apr 9, 2013
    At what age do you start adding Food Grade DE to your chicks crumbles? and at what age do you add Grits to their crumbles? I assume you don't put the DE on the chicks directly until they are 100% feathered? This is my very first chick experience so any words of wisdom for healthy, happy chicks and chickens is greatly appreciated.

8. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Never.

That stuff is a huge waste of money. Honestly. I know some people thing it's the best thing since sliced bread, but really, I tried it and found it to be useless.

Please don't waste your money.

And in regards to grit, it's built into the chick starter you're buying, so don't worry about that.

I wrote an article on basic chick care on our farm website, you can read it here: http://www.pathfindersfarm.com/Chickcare.html

G
    ood luck with your new chicks!

Laura

9. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    Actually, given the opportunity, baby chicks and they will start "dusting" right away.Though I think it's pretty much worthless against mites or worms DE is perfectly safe for dusting or eating.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/ectoparasites/mites_of_poultry.html?qt=poultry external parasites&alt=sh
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/ectoparasites/lice_of_poultry.html

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

As long as chicks are eating only commercial feed (you aren't adding treats which must be "digested" like mealworms or crickets or other crunchy things) then you necer need to add grit. If they are out in the yard where there are granite bits or little pebbles for them to pick up, they're good there. If you give them other food items, sprinkle some grit over it.

"Play" sand is not good for this as it is too fine. All Purpose or Construction sand at a home improvement store is perfect and very cheap; a 40 lb. Bag is less than five bucks. It will last forever, but you can also use it in dust bath areas or in a kitty litter pan inside the coop when it rains, so they can still use it for both purposes.

I rarely use DE any more, except to scatter in nest boxes when I change out the pine shavings. Mostly because I still have some left......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by