when to start feeding grit

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Drk_Wlf, May 18, 2009.

1. Drk_Wlf

Drk_Wlf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Chautauqua County, NY
    I have six young pullets. They are just starting to get feathers and are still on starter food. When should I start giving them grit?

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    As long as you are feeding them the starter grit is not an issue. It only when you start feeding other things that they need grit. I would recommend that you buy the grit designed for chicks.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  3. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    starting now wouldn't hurt. i usually give mine grit as soon as i give them something other than chick starter. go ahead and offer it to them, i don't think it would do them anything but good.

4. Eggie and Me

Eggie and Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    Our girls are 5 wks old. We started them on grit when we started introducing things other than their starter feed. We also sifted the girt to be sure the pieces they got wouldn't hurt them. Now that they're outside we just toss grit once in awhile as they are really getting much from the soil.

5. lux_interior

lux_interior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    My chickens are 5 weeks old, and living outside... I still feed them starter, because I'm going to use up my huge 50 pound bag of it! But I also give them a bit of fine scratch everyday... should they be eating grit if they are eating the scratch?

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Yes, any food other than chicken feed means that they need grit to digest it.

My 3-week-old chicks get parrot grit, which they love.

7. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    When they start getting snacks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by