when to start feeding ranger chicks different food

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Feike, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Feike

Feike Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Lander, Wyoming
    I bet many people asked this question before.....but when do you start feeding ranger chicks something else then chick starter?
    I have one little weaker chick which I have the feeling is going to die soon, what to do....added electrolytes to their water today again....the chicks are a week old....after 3 days I stopped with electrolytes but somehow thought it will safe the little one that isn't doing too well.....need your help!

2. Feike

Aug 8, 2011
    Lander, Wyoming
    oops maybe I wasn't clear enough.....the ranger is a slower groing broiler meatbird.......it's great for organic farms and places like that....they are related to the French Broiler......when do you start feeding broilers meatbird pellets?

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Unless the electrolytes are specifically made for chickens, I would discontinue them.

My chicks and ducklings get moved off of crumbles and onto pellets when they are big enough to swallow the pellets. Basically, the right time is when the bag of starter runs out. I've got Cornish Cross and I don't start them on starter. They start right out on meat bird crumbles. I would prefer to feed them game bird starter, but no one seems to be selling it this year. They will switch to turkey pellets as soon as they can handle the size of the pellet.

For your weak chick, what are the symptoms?

4. Feike

Aug 8, 2011
    Lander, Wyoming
    panting ....most of the time laying flat and spreading it's wings out and runny poop.....but she didn't survive the night...
    So I maybe should have started with meat bird crumbles....Thanks for your info

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I'm sorry to hear that you lost your little chick.

It hasn't hurt your birds to feed them chick starter.

Spread wings is usually a sign of over-heating. Doubly so when coupled with panting. Do your chicks have lots of space to get away from the heat lamp?

Diarrhea can be caused by a lot of different things. Over-heating will do it. Intestinal bug, food allergies, birth defects, viral illness, spoiled food, too much fiber in the food, abrupt change of diet, lots of different causes. Salt can give chicks diarrhea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by